What if the unit I want to rent has more bedrooms than the eligible voucher?

  • The owner may rent a unit with more bedrooms than the eligible voucher.  The owner may elect to close off the additional bedroom(s) and remove the heat source to reduce the cost of the utilities to the subsidized bedroom limit.
  • The owner may also rent the larger unit allowing the tenant access to all bedrooms.  The rent and utilities may need to be negotiated for the selected family then. The subsidy will  remain at the bedroom size listed on the voucher, but if the tenant has access to all bedrooms, the higher utility cost must be calculated into the monthly rent. 

What are the City Code Requirements?

  • Property owners who rent units located within the City limits of Harrisburg are required to have a City Codes Inspection . Their office may be reached by telephone at (717) 255-6552 to set up an inspection. Participating units are not deemed eligible unless there is a current City Codes inspection. 

How much should I charge for rent?

  • You must charge a reasonable ret that is determined by the HHA.
  • Local government or independent entities approved by HUD must perform the rent reasonableness determinations for the HHA owned units leased by voucher holders. 
    • the HHA pays the expenses associated with this performance
  • Rent must not exceed the negotiated amount of rent stated on the HAP contract

What is a RFTA?

  • RFTA is a Request for Tenancy Approvals, which are issued to the tenant. The tenant provides the RFTA to the landlord for completion and need signed by both parties.  The landlord will list the address of the unit located within the City limits and jurisdiction of Harrisburg Housing Authority, proposed amount of rent and security deposit, designate responsible party for heat, cooking, electric and hot water. 
  • This form is to be returned to the Section 8 office. The proposed rental unit’s address will be submitted to the City of Harrisburg’s Bureau of Operation and Revenue to determine eligibility for participation. The unit must be free and clear of utility bills and City taxes. 

Does the HHA screen tenants?

  • HHA requests a criminal background clearance form the Pennsylvania State Police for every participant over the age of 18.
  • Landlords may request a credit report, conduct a home visit and/ or telephone previous tenant/ landlord references. 

What is on a voucher?

  • The tenant possesses a voucher with eligible subsidy listed by bedroom size on the first page of the voucher. The issue date and expiration date are also listed on the voucher. it is in the best interest of both parties to match the available unit bedrooms with the eligible number of bedrooms listed on the voucher.  

Who is responsible for damages to the property?

  • The tenants are responsible for any damages caused by tenant or tenant’s family including guests, that do not fall under the category of fair wear and tear. The landlord is advised to bill the tenant for any damages.  if the tenant refuses to pay for damage and the amount exceeds the security deposit , we suggest action with the District Magistrate to obtain monetary award. 

What if I want to Evict a tenant?

  • Eviction action must be in compliance with PA landlord/Tenant Law. HUD regulations require that a copy of any judicial action beginning with the Landlord/Tenant Complaint be provided to our office. 

Who provides the lease?

  • The landlord provides a lease to the tenant. The lease needs to be the same lease used for private rentals. 

Can I collect a security Deposit?

  • The landlord may collect a security deposit no greater than the negotiated amount of one month’s rent.

How do I request rent increases?

  • The owner/ landlord must submit a rent increase in accordance with the HAP Contract.
  • The tenant/ participant must be served with the notice of the increase in rent and the effective date must be no sooner than 60 days after the notice date.
  • HHA must receive a copy from the owner/ landlord in order to process the increase.
  • The HHA then must determine if the increased rent meets the rent reasonableness standard.
  • The owner/ landlord will be notified in writing if the HHA cannot justify its rent increase.
  • The owner/ landlord may appeal the HHA’s determination that the rent was not reasonable by providing the HHA with non-assisted comparable units in his/her property receiving the requested rent.
  • if the HHA does not approve the increase the tenant/ participant cannot assume the burden of the increase. 
    • You may request a rent increase by filling out the following rent increase form